[Rcpp-devel] Why not export CxxFlags and LdFlags?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jan 5 12:19:20 CET 2010

Hennig,

Thanks for your interest in Rcpp!

On 5 January 2010 at 09:43, Romain François wrote:
| On 01/05/2010 06:20 AM, Henning Redestig wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > My question is in the title, if these functions were meant to be
| > called from outside Rcpp (such as in a Makevars script of different
| > package) why not exporting them so they are reachable via
| > Rcpp::CxxFlags() instead of Rcpp:::CxxFlags() ?
| >
| > Bit picky perhaps but I just got this pointed out for me at the
| > bioconductor-devel list.
| >
| > Kind regards,
| >

| Hello,
|
| I guess the main reason is that these functions don't need the package
| to be loaded to run.

Correct.

| If you submit a patch (including documentation) I'll review it, unless
| Dirk has stronger reasons not to export them.

I do not plan to have these exported.  Rcpp:::CxxFlags() and Rcpp:::LdFlags()
do exactly what they are supposed to do.

Further, exporting the short names may only clash due to namespace
collissions.  At least RInside also used RInside:::CxxFlags() and
RInside:::LdFlags().

So I'd need strong arguments for exporting this, beyond the main reason
Romain already gave:  They are not meant for the loaded package (which only
provides some documentation).