[Rcpp-devel] follow up from: Re: [Rd] R_PreserveObject, R_ReleaseObject : reference counting needed ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jan 3 02:36:25 CET 2010

On 2 January 2010 at 17:14, Whit Armstrong wrote:
| Romain and Dirk,
|
| > Our main class is Rcpp::RObject that wraps any SEXP into a C++ object that
| > basically R_PreserveObject when it is created, and R_ReleaseObject when the
| > object is destroyed.
| >
| > deriving from "RObject", we have "Environment" to deal specifically with
| > environments (ENVSXP) , "Symbol" to deal with symbols (SYMSXP), "Language"
| > for calls (LANGSXP) and the template XPTr for external pointers. The rest
| > (vectors, functions, ...) will follow.
|
| I see, so you all seem to be maintaining the existing interface, but
| moving forward in a different direction with a proper c++ object based
| set of classes.

I am not sure that the direction is all that different. We are simply
enhancing and extending, adding new features and doing it in ways that we now
comnsider cool and clean.

| I'll definitely keep following the changes, I would like to see all
| the cpp packages come together at some point.  I also found this one
| today: http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rcppbind.

That one have been on R-Forge since before Rcpp; I never had exchanges with
him though. Seems more 'Whit-alike' in the all-template use. I don't think it
is being updated.