[Rcpp-devel] [Rd] GPL and R Community Policies (Rcpp)

Shane Conway shane.conway at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:09:23 CET 2010

Your original question is predicated on the notion that people are
"disseminating misleading information about" you, with this phrase: "a
small portion of the code is based on code written during 2005 and
2006 by Dominick Samperi".  While it may be difficult to qualify
contributions to a joint project, there is absolutely nothing
misleading in this.  It is a statement of fact.  I simply read it to
imply that all the other names listed are still actively involved, and
that the code has evolved significantly since 2006.

As others have already said: please take this up with the package
authors off this list.  There is no basis for trying to introduce a
general discussion with a broader audience about licensing, copyright,
etc. around this issue.

As a side note: I think that the Rcpp package authors should give
serious consideration to appending "The development of this package
was driven by the godawful code that Hadley wrote" to the end of the
acknowledgements.