[Rcpp-devel] [Rd] GPL and R Community Policies (Rcpp)

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:06:37 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Gavin Simpson <gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 13:21 -0500, Dominick Samperi wrote:
> > This post asks members of the R community, users and developers,
> > to comment on issues related to the GNU Public License
> > and R community policies more generally.
> >
> <snip/>
> > As a counterbalance I think the community of developers and
> > users need to play a more active role in the evolution of
> > shared values and expectations. In this spirit I respectfully request
> > that the R community consider the following.
>
> I don't think there is much relevance /here/ (R-devel) to your spat with
> the Rcpp developers. You released the package under a permissive licence
> and people took up its development after it lay dormant for a long time.
>
> As I understand it Rcpp has moved on leaps and bounds of late and the
> current code base is quite well removed from your original. That being
> so, the line you quote would seem to be a fair reflection of the current
> state of the package.
>

> I do not read into it anything disparaging and would suggest that it is
> your own personal displeasure at the way your work has been taken and
> improved/altered that is colouring your views on this particular point.
>
> Also, I wasn't aware that Rcpp was now part of R Core Development. I was
> aware that Rcpp now uses some of the new reference class code added in
> the latest version of R. If I have missed something, great. The Rcpp
> stuff I have seen recently looks great and I see it being used in
> several packages.

Obviously members of the R core team have been added to the author
list. I think this answers your question.

I do not deny that great progress has been made, but that does not
give the developers the right to impugn my work. Are you saying it
is proper to deprecate the contribution of past authors, and that
the extent of this deprecation should be proportional to the amount
of progress made? Should we add this to the list of R community
policies? Are all users in agreement with this policy?

As I said, an easy resolution is simply to not refer to my
name in the Rcpp package at all.