[RQt-devel] Qt 4.7 and QtDeclarative

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Mon Nov 8 04:11:31 CET 2010

Hi guys,

Just tried qtbase with Qt 4.7, and things seem to work. I just added support
for a new module in 4.7: QtDeclarative. It embeds a new declarative
Javascript/JSON inspired language called QML. You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QML. Basically, it makes it easy to write
dynamic UI's by binding properties together, connecting signals to slots,
etc. Actual javascript can be embedded for more complex logic. New types can
be defined with signals, properties and slots, and R can interact with these
as with any other QObject. The reverse is also possible: R can assign
objects (even of a class defined within R) into the QML evaluation context.
This is part of a growing trend towards Javascript-driven UI's on the
desktop, like Google's Chrome OS and Gnome 3.0 (
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell).

This could be useful, for example, for layering a UI over the pipeline being
developed in the cranvas package. The dynamic binding of properties is a key
feature, and that's essentially what we were aiming at with mutaframe in the
plumbr package. That is, the variables in the mutaframe could be dynamic.
The missing piece is implicitly updating a pipeline stage when there is a
change to the dependencies of the expression generating the dynamic column.
Figuring out the dependencies probably requires static code analysis, like
that done by Duncan's CodeDepends package.

Michael