[RQt-devel] qtbase mac issues resolved

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Mon Mar 22 06:12:55 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I guess it's a question of where to draw the line between the low-level
> Qt
> > bindings and the R API. The Painter object is not bound by smoke, so it
> > still has an explicit R API, like qdrawGlyph(), qstrokeColor<-(), etc.
> Layer
> > and PlotView are bound by smoke, but qtpaint still provides R-level
> > constructors, mostly for the named argument matching. The R calling
> > convention is particularly convenient for constructors, since there often
> > several arguments, which usually have reasonable default values.
>
> It seems like for a given package we should pick one style and stick
> with it.  Since all the Qt objects are mutable, maybe using $
> accessors throughout the API makes the most sense.

I think this is the policy I have followed more or less. Only the
constructors have special wrappers.. and there are some special things like
S3 methods on dim().

>  But then we need
> to figure out how to document it in a way that works with the usual R
> documentation style.

Since the bindings are dynamic, the documentation should probably also be
dynamic. I was thinking of using the R help server to do this. The hard part
is the source of the docs. I'm sure this would transformed from the Qt docs.
The issue is that installation of the Qt docs is optional (as it takes up a
lot of space).  But it's possible to access it programmatically, which is
nice. One problem is that this would only work through a web-browser, not
from within R. It might be possible to use the dynamic Rd features. Have to
look into it.

A variant on this would be transforming the docs (from C++ to R) at run-time
and then displaying in QtAssistant, which is a much nicer help interface
compared to R's.

Hadley