[Picante-devel] New developer and manuscript plans

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Sat Nov 22 17:51:26 CET 2008

Just saw this the other day in case you were wondering about OA fees
per publisher.

http://libertasacademica.blogspot.com/2008/11/article-processing-fee-comparison.html

In the interest of full disclosure, Libertas Academica is the
publisher of Evolutionary Bioinformatics, where we published  the
phylohackathon report.

	-hilmar

On Nov 20, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Hi all - sorry for the silence on my part. First off, congrats and
> welcome to your new developer!
>
> On Nov 14, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Steven Kembel wrote:
>
>> I was thinking Bioinformatics would be a good target journal but I'm
>> open to suggestions.
>
> Yes that would be a good target.
>
>> There are open-access journals such as BMC Bioinformatics that would
>> be suitable as well.
>
> There is also Evolutionary Bioinformatics:
>
> http://www.la-press.com/evolutionary-bioinformatics-journal-j17
>
> This is where we published the Phyloinformatics Hackathon report:
>
> http://www.la-press.com/the-2006-nescent-phyloinformatics-hackathon-a-field-report-a480
>
> If you want to reach mostly ecologists, there is also Molecular
> Ecology Resources (f.k.a. Molecular Ecology Notes):
>
> http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1755-098X&site=1
>
> GeoPhylobuilder was published there. However, the journal apparently
> requires the transfer of copyright, which is not at all required for a
> commercial publisher (as OUP demonstrates, for example), and IMHO
> should not be rewarded. But I'm not the author or co-author and so
> should have no say in this :-)
>
>> I am not sure if NESCent has support for open access publication
>> costs.
>

> There is no general policy that NESCent would sponsor or subsidize
> open access publication costs from our sponsored projects. However,
> you would be welcome to use Google's Summer of Code organization
> payment share from your project ($500) for this purpose (I believe you
> or Matt haven't used that yet for meeting face-to-face, and don't seem
> to have urgent plans to do so?). If that would not suffice to help
> cover the costs, let me know.
>
> 	-hilmar

: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :