[Picante-devel] New developer and manuscript plans

Steven Kembel skembel at berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 14 19:40:00 CET 2008

Hi Matt,

> Do we want to start with an outline being passed around?

Sounds like a good idea. I will draw up an outline and circulate.

> Do you have a target journal in mind? Is it the same journal that
> Steve wrote his phylocom article? Would NESCent perhaps pay for open
> access since Peter and I were funded through them/Google this
> summer... perhaps Hilmar would know? Would we include examples of
> all the functions or just highlight some functions?

I was thinking Bioinformatics would be a good target journal but I'm
open to suggestions. There are open-access journals such as BMC
Bioinformatics that would be suitable as well. I am not sure if
NESCent has support for open access publication costs. Bioinformatics
has no page charges but does have a pay-to-publish option to make the
article open access IIRC. We published a Phylocom application note
there, here is the link to get an idea of the format:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btn358

The length limit for application notes is quite short so I think the
best approach is not to give a general overview of the kinds of
analyses the package can do, maybe highlight one or two functions.

Cheers,
Steve