[Picante-devel] New developer and manuscript plans

Steven Kembel skembel at berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 7 01:53:50 CET 2008

Hi all,

Helene Morlon, a postdoc at the University of Oregon, is joining the
picante developers and will be adding some functions to calculate
measures of phylogenetic beta diversity. Welcome Helene!

I have received several requests from picante users who want a way to
cite the package. I would like to begin preparing a manuscript
describing the picante package for publication as an application note
in a bioinformatics journal. We should look into publication funding
options since I think it would be good to publish in an open-access
journal. My suggestion is that everyone who has contributed code to
the package should be included as an author on the manuscript, but
that the developers will be first authors in order of the magnitude of
their contributions to the package and/or manuscript, and that we will
note this in the manuscript. Does this sound fair? I'll get in touch
with developers individually in the near future to discuss further.

Best,
Steve