[Phylobase-devl] prune/subset questions

Jim Regetz regetz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 2 09:59:38 CEST 2009

Some follow-up...

Jim Regetz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As far as I can tell, the new phylo4 prune method I've written is
> working just fine, and supports both trim.internal=TRUE and
> trim.internal=FALSE. It only does subtree=FALSE, more on that below.

I just committed this. It is currently a prune method (for consistency
with previous organization), but as mentioned below I would prefer to
migrate it into the subset method.

> Some questions for the group:
>
> 1. Is there a compelling reason to keep both subset *and* prune methods?
> Or is this just a historical artifact? I think the only differences are:
> (1) you can only pass the trim.internal and subtree arguments to prune,
> but not subset, and (2) subset accepts tips.include, tips.exclude, mrca,
> and node.subtree, whereas prune only does tips.exclude. Why not just
> expose trim.internal and subtree (if desired) via the subset methods,
> and eliminate prune? Or if someone really wants a prune function, it can
> simply be an inflexible wrapper for subset, only accepting tips.exclude.

I am increasingly inclined to drop prune as a formal method, making
subset (and associated "[" extraction) the sole interface to this
functionality.

Objections?

Going a step further, should we drop all the ape-based phylo subsetting
methods (including pruning and tip dropping)? Seems like ape
import/export are a sufficient link; maintaining additional coupling
through wrapper functions will mean duplication -- and maintenance -- of
code and documentation, which could become a headache as both phylobase
and ape continue to evolve.

> 2. Do we need/want to support a subtree=TRUE option? I haven't worked on
> this at all. For what it's worth, even using the current ape-based
> subset method, this option unreliable for phylo4(d):
>
> require(phylobase)
> data(geospiza)
> geotree <- extractTree(geospiza)
> prune(geotree, c(1,3), subtree=TRUE)
> ## Error in checkTree(object) : All labels must be unique
> ## In addition: Warning message:
> ## In asMethod(object) : trees with unknown order may be unsafe in ape
>
> Here it's because the resulting tree would have two tip labels called
> "[1_tips]". Anyway, I would be happy with leaving subtree as a future
> feature possibility for now.

Still not done. Currently, if you use subtree=TRUE, you get routed
through phylo coercion and ape::drop.tip, as before. Of course, this
won't be possible any longer if we drop ape-based subsetting altogether.
I don't have a good sense of how much of a priority this is.

> 3. Any opinions on dealing with root edge length during subsetting? The
> current method (using ape::drop.tip) just loses that information. In the
> new method, the root edge essentially accumulates the edges associated
> with any singletons that form along it as a consequence of the pruning.
> Of course, that could make for a long root edge when retaining just two
> closely related species in a large tree. Alternatively, albeit somewhat
> arbitrarily, we could make it be the length of the edge connecting the
> new root to its parent node in the original tree. Of course, this could
> also be computed after the fact, e.g. with:
>
> edgeLength(phy, MRCA(phy, tips.included))
>
> where phy was the full (pre-subset) tree.

Currently implemented as described. In case someone is interested in
obtaining the alternative root edge length, I can just add that line of
code to the example in the documentation.

> 4. This new method was initially kinda slow, but mostly because it makes
> a bunch of descendants() calls in one part, and that can be slow. So I
> rewrote descendants() to use a (very simple) C function that works on a
> preordered edge matrix, which helps a lot with speed. I'll commit if
> this are no objections. The new subset is still slower than ape's
> drop.tip, but not horribly so.

I've since modified phylo4 subset/prune to reduce the reliance on
descendants(), but I can still commit the C-based descendants
replacement. The subsetting does, however, now require at least one
reorder(), which is fine for small trees, but slow for large ones. So I
wrote a C function for reorder() as well (thanks to Peter for the push
in that direction). There are actually two alternative C functions, one
faster but only called if the tree is a true binary tree (no singletons
or polytomies), and the other slower but usable on any valid phylo4 tree
(I think). Performance of both is no better than the pure R reorder on
small trees, maybe even trivially slower, but much better on large trees.

Are folks fine with having these things reimplemented as compiled C
functions? What I've done so far is pretty simple, and uses only the .C
interface, for what it's worth. I could imagine writing an analogous C
function for ancestors(), but that's probably enough at least for the
time being. Opinions?

Thanks,
Jim