[Phylobase-devl] IDs vs. labels (support for nexml format)

Aaron Mackey ajmackey at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:47:26 CEST 2008

> ~  phylo4 objects have required (integer) Node numbers,
> required (character) tip labels, and optional (character) node labels
> (for internal nodes).  Does that satisfy the requirement?

nope.  in addition to user-visible labels, I need a slot for unique
identifiers (which may be non-numeric, and even if numeric may not follow
the consecutive 1..N ordering of the phylo4 node numbers).  The identifiers
are necessary for all nodes, both tips and internal nodes.

But I'd prefer to able to do this generically: to have a (completely
optional) annotation slot in which to stick things like "nexml node ID"
and/or any other bits-and-bobs that some other software wants to know about,
and phylobase doesn't care about.  Like I said, I can use the phylo4d
data.frame to store this additional info, but it's not character data, it's
meta-data

-Aaron