[Phylobase-devl] Phylobase GSoC idea

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Tue Mar 11 05:12:44 CET 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 11:55 PM, Ben Bolker wrote:

>    Hmmm.  Maybe I could co-mentor ... (5 hours/week sounds like
>  a lot ...)

I know it does, but we have learned from last year that there is no
point in trying to downplay this. Some students may in fact turn out
to do fine with a little less, but that would be luck more than
anything else.

Having the mentoring is one of the key things that differentiates the
Google program from others and from just participating by
volunteering, and it makes a huge difference for students. Google
gets pretty upset if an organization doesn't take that seriously.

I would in fact not look at it as the hours is costs per week. The
program gives you the chance (in fact, that's its purpose) to gain a
new developer for your project who may stick around long after the
Summer of Code concludes. Spending 5 hours a week or a little more
over a 12-week summer doesn't sound like a terrible price to pay for
that, does it?

Plus - you'll get a Summer of Code T-shirt. How many of your
colleagues have that? How many of your friends? Isn't that priceless ;-)

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :