[Phylobase-devl] node retrieval / recapitulation

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Mar 6 10:12:56 CET 2008

Peter Cowan wrote:
>> - "nodes": equals 'internal nodes' (has my vote) /vs/ all nodes
>> (tips +
>> internal)
>>

> I'm torn here, I'll be fine with either decision.  I do think that we
> need not feel bound by the decisions of ape.  One of the motivations
> for phylobase is that ability to make changes to the ape approach.

I agree, but I since phylobase users are going to be using ape as well,
I just want to avoid unnecessary confusion.
>> - "NexusToPhylo4" (and related IO functions): there seems to be a
>> consensus for changing the name, and using an argument to specify the
>> output; "read.nexus" would conflict with ape, but this may be solved
>> by
>> using a namespace (is this overkill?); Hilmar suggested naming the
>> function from the content read (phylogeny / comparative data) rather
>> than from the format (newick, nexus, ...). I think content is more
>> generic, but I find it more visible to have a read.[format].
>>

> I don't think a namespace is overkill, but that said, I haven't
> wrapped my head around them.  I would prefer names such as
> read.fileformat(), like read.csv(), unless we could reliably write a
> function that would detect the format and dispatch the proper method -
> which is probably more work than it is worth.

I don't think so. But both options can be used: have several
read.[format] methods and a dispatcher. Once the appropriate IO methods
work correctly, it is actually straightforward to detect the extension
of the file and dispatch the appropriate method.
>> - naming functions: there seems to be a consensus about the
>> "camelCase"
>> (i.e. "lowerCamelCase" rather than "UpperCamelCase").
>>

> I would also favor singleCamel, rather than doubleCamelCase.
>

>> Appart from this, one colleague here is presently using/crash-testing
>> phylobase - as an enduser -, and I begin to receive good feedback
>> (among
>> bunches of "why is this not working?!?"). A good point for us all, I
>> guess.
>>

> That is both exciting and scary.  Your colleague should feel free to
> join the mailing list and complain to the lot of us, if s/he is willing.
>
> Peter
I'll ask him. But he really has a great experience in complaining to me
about things 'not working in R', so I am not sure he's going to change
his habits ;-)

Best,

Thibaut.

--