[Phylobase-devl] misc.

Brian O'Meara bcomeara at nescent.org
Tue Dec 2 17:24:32 CET 2008

Hi, Ben et al.

I think these are all good ideas. A virtual hackathon would be great,
and I don't think it's too ambitious. As you say, we're close on
phylobase, and pushing for a few days could get us done enough to get
on CRAN and make all our past work really pay off. I was getting
close to finishing the NCL improvements, then got distracted by other
things, and so a few days of focused work with social pressure would
help me, at least, get that done. For deciding what's needed for the
CRAN release, we could all put in feature/bug notes on the r-forge
site now (specify some deadline), reach a consensus on what needs to
be done, and assign those items high priority. It might help
structure development, too (assign bugs/features to various people to
work on). I imagine we can get NESCent help for things like
teleconferencing or setting up other infrastructure if we need it
(wikis, etc.), though I'm not speaking as an official NESCent rep.

Brian

On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:30 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:

>   So -- I'm pleased that there's movement on phylobase again
> (mostly due to our "junior" contributors -- thanks Thibaut,
> Francois, Peter!) ... I would love to get development jump-started
> again.  Some possibilities:
>
>   * chat on the list about a deadline and milestones needed
> for a CRAN release?  (My votes: merged plotting code, all known
> bugs fixed [I don't actually think that would be hard], node-labeling
> scheme updated).
>
>   * have one or more additional conference calls?
>
>   * an ambitious plan: have a "virtual hackathon" sometime
> between now and mid-January, where we all agree to the best
> of our abilities to spend the same day or two investing
> a significant amount of hacking time ... we could have
> one or two 'plenary sessions' a day and do Skype/chat
> in between ... what do you think?
>
>   cheers
>     Ben
>

> --
> Ben Bolker
> Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida
> bolker at ufl.edu / www.zoology.ufl.edu/bolker
> GPG key: www.zoology.ufl.edu/bolker/benbolker-publickey.asc
> phylobase-devl

Brian O'Meara