[Phylobase-devl] Proposition for phylo4d constructor

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Aug 28 00:48:36 CEST 2008

   On a *very* quick glance (and having heard a bit about this
from you in person), I think your code is worth adding.  Just to be
pedantic, I think I would argue that the current behavior of the
constructor is "as might be expected" -- that is, the constructor is
defined as

phylo4d(x,...)

where x is "an object of class 'phylo4', 'phylo' or a matrix
of edges" -- i.e., *not* class 'phylo4d'.  Since x isn't
technically allowed to be class phylo4d, the behavior
is undefined.  If we don't add your code, we should add
a check (and error) that makes sure that x really
is one of the allowed object types.

  There is a "tdata<-" method which works as follows:

tdata(rTdA,"tip") <- rDt

  However, as I said I think your approach (appropriately
documented) is fine.

  PS: you know you're turning into a cuRmudgeon when
you spend your time explaining why R's behavior is *exactly*
what one would logically expect after spending a few hours
delving into the details of the R language definition ...

  :-)

  Ben