[NMF-user] setting the fraction of genes randomly sampled in an iteration?

Gordon Robertson grobertson at bcgsc.ca
Mon Mar 18 11:47:20 CET 2013

Renaud,

Thanks for clarifying this.

I asked because I tried to run NMF on a miRNA-seq abundance matrix that had 66 samples (columns) and only a small set of miRs (rows), say 20 miRs. I've used NMF routinely for larger miRNA-seq data matrices for some time (using 200-300 miRs), including on a 300-miR matrix for the same samples, but this time the survey returned only errors. I was able to get results from Matt Wilkerson's Consensus Cluster Plus package. I'll look more carefully at what happens to the NMF runs as I progressively remove miRs.