[Mediation-information] Question when applying Causal Mediation Analysis

dustin tingley dtingley at gov.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 8 20:16:42 CEST 2011

Francesc-

The practical relationship between causal mediation analysis and IV is
important.

At one level this turns on whether you are interested in the causal effect
of the treatment, or, if you are using something as an instrument, whether
you care about the effect of that instrument (most economists do not). My
biggest concern is people who actually care about the effects of the
exogenous variable, but who use IV to identify its effect under the
exclusion restriction assumption.

I would also refer you to Booil Jo's paper that we cite so you can contrast
our approach to one that is more in line with IV methods you appear more
familiar with (we discuss this a bit in the PM paper). Key is keeping track
of the assumptions you are making across the two procedures.

Perhaps my co-authors can add anything.

Dustin

Dustin Tingley
Government Department