[R list package] Replication problem

Juan Felipe Riaño Rodríguez jf.riano48 at uniandes.edu.co
Fri Feb 27 19:51:47 CET 2015

Hi!

Working with my data to verify ceiling and floor liars, I used your replication code as a guide and got error messages about the Log likelihood not being monotonically increasing. But then I realized that I also get this error with your own code on your data, that is simply running the replication of your paper.

In particular when trying to replicate Table 7, columns 3-6, as below, I get the error messages shown below (if I change the fit.start parameter, the error that pops out may change from object not found to non non monotonically increasing Log likelihood, but I always get an error anyways).

In short, before concluding there is problem with my data specifically, given this finding I would like to point it out and make sure there is not a more general problem with the code (perhaps something got messed up in an software update or that of package dependencies?).

Thank you very much,

> data(race)
>
> ceiling.results <- ictreg(y ~ age + college + male + south, treat = "treat", J = 3, data = affirm, method = "ml", fit.start = "ml", ceiling = TRUE, ceiling.fit = "bayesglm", ceiling.formula = ~ age + college + male + south)
Error in logistic(x.treatment.curr %*% fit.control.coef) :
  object 'fit.control.coef' not found

> summary(ceiling.results, boundary.proportions = T)
Error in summary(ceiling.results, boundary.proportions = T) :
  object 'ceiling.results' not found

> # Fit standard design ML model with floor effects alone
> # Replicates Columns 5-6
>
> data(race)
>
> floor.results <- ictreg(y ~ age + college + male + south, treat = "treat",
+ 	      	 	J = 3, data = affirm, method = "ml", fit.start = "glm",
+ 			floor = TRUE, floor.fit = "bayesglm",
+ 			floor.formula = ~ age + college + male + south)
Error in ictreg(y ~ age + college + male + south, treat = "treat", J = 3,  :
  log-likelihood is not monotonically increasing.

> summary(floor.results, boundary.proportions = T)
Error in summary(floor.results, boundary.proportions = T) :
  object 'floor.results' not found