[GenABEL-dev] The GenABEL project fundamentals: post #2

Rob Hooft rob.hooft at nbic.nl
Mon May 23 17:00:59 CEST 2011

Hi Yurii,

I really enjoyed reading this; It made me think of a policy at my
previous (commercial) employer which I never embraced. At all other
locations, filing a patent was rewarded by a 1000 dollar bonus shared
equally among authors. Result of that was that people having a new
idea would work on it alone, so that they could get the full bonus for
themselves. In our group, new ideas were discussed, and the patents
came out stronger.

Patents may not be as open as GPL, but even for those, your principles apply.

Thanks for a nice post!

Rob

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Yurii Aulchenko
<yurii.aulchenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is post # 2 about 'fundamentals'.
>
> best wishes,
> Yurii
>
> -------------------------------
> The GenABEL project: open source methodology
>
> "The future is open source everything" (Linus Torvalds)
>
> Open source development is commons-based peer production by openly
> exchanging ideas and collaboration. The GenABEL project provides
> infrastructure to apply open source philosophy to methodology
> development in statistical genomics, aiming to public good. To my
> knowledge, application of the open source ideas to methodology
> development is quite new.
>
> In my view, ideally, the GenABEL project should operate on principles
> of open source and open standards throughout: for governance,
> methodology discussion, software implementation, extension,
> maintenance, documentation, publication, education, training, etc.
>
> My view is also that in the GenABEL project open principles are
> critical for governance and software development/maintenance; in other
> aspects this is up to an individual contributor to decide how far
> he/she wants to go.
>
> Open governance of the GenABEL project is a very important topic,
> which will be discussed in a separate post. Here, I address open
> principles in application to methodology, software development,
> documentation, etc.
>
> It is important that methodology is developed through open discussion,
> and in my experience, bringing your idea to discussion at an early
> stage saves time and improves quality. My suggestion is, if you got
> what seems to be a bright methodological idea, just shoot it to the
> genabel-development mailing list for discussion with other people.
> From the community, you will learn how original you idea is, and you
> may get people enthusiastic about it and willing to help in e.g. code
> development and testing. We have examples of this happening already in
> the GenABEL project.
>
> I can imagine that one may be afraid that an idea is “stolen”.
> However, in my opinion, this is highly unlikely to happen: an
> individual stealing from peers will be excluded from the community
> right away, and will get very bad publicity. “Stealing” things is too
> risky a business for one who intends to stay in the field. Mind also
> that many ideas are “in the air” and many people come to the same idea
> simultaneously and independently (e.g. rediscovery of Mendel’s lows).
> Also please mind that an idea costs very little if it does not
> translate to application (e.g. through development of a software). It
> is just too easy to come up with ‘ideas’; implementing them, this is
> what makes it real (see Edison’s 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration).
>
> I can also imagine that some people want to do methodology and
> software development "in private" for at least some time, because they
> are afraid that the idea/implementation will be used without proper
> [...]

Rob W.W. Hooft
Chief Technology Officer BioAssist, Netherlands Bioinformatics Centre
http://www.nbic.nl/    Skype: robhooft    GSM: +31 6 27034319