[GenABEL-dev] Interesting idea by Gulnara Svischeva

Yurii Aulchenko yurii.aulchenko at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:56:55 CEST 2011

Dear Lars,

I am testing your procedure now; results will follow soon.

Meanwhile Gulya has developed R code implementing her idea to compute
the polygenic model likelihood in an efficient way, and I introduced
this as a default option in GenABEL's 'polygenic' "private" version.
'polygenic'  finds maximum likelihood estimates (via numeric
maximization of the likelihood function).

Recently, I convinced Gulya that we run minimal risk, but will have
multiple benefits if we go into the open now; so her code is now
included in the GenABEL public developmental version (on RForge). Here
is the link to the code of the likelihood function (see second one,
'polylik_eigen')

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/GenABEL/R/polylik.R?view=markup&root=genabel

and here is the link to 'polygenic' FYI

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/GenABEL/R/polygenic.R?view=markup&root=genabel

Our tests demonstrated excellent agreement between 'old' and 'new' way
of computing the likelihood and getting to MLEs -- results are the
same (some really minor differences could be attributed to finite
machine precision). The 'new' procedure works way faster than the old
one.

best wishes,
Yurii