[GenABEL-dev] Interesting idea by Gulnara Svischeva

Lars Rönnegård lrn at du.se
Wed May 18 11:34:39 CEST 2011

Hi,
I attach an implementation of an idea proposed by Gulnara. It uses weighted least squares to compute the REML heritability estimate.
The function is found in "REMLrotateFun.R" and some example code is found in "ExampleCode_REMLrotate.R" that uses the data in "RemlEx.RData".

If someone would be interested in trying it (and possibly also suggest improvements), I would appreciate it.
It works for linear mixed models having a polygenic random effect and iid residuals. It seems to be very fast. The example I attach contains 680 observations.
Is this a new algorithm or has it been done already?

Best wishes,
Lars Rönnegård
Dalarna University