[GenABEL-dev] Adding 'tags' directories to the SVN repo

L.C. Karssen l.karssen at erasmusmc.nl
Mon May 16 23:46:21 CEST 2011

Dear all,

In the past there were several discussions, both on-line and off-line,
on the layout of the Subversion repository.

After releasing ProbABEL 0.1-9e yesterday and with the upcoming release
of GenABEL 1.6.7 I think it is time to implement one of these structural
changes: the addition of a 'tags' subdirectory.

Such a tags directory is used to create snapshots of the development
tree at a certein time, for example at each release of a package. This
way it is easier to get an overview of the previous releases without
having to dig through the SVN logs. The idea is of course that the files
in such directory should be treated as read only (otherwise they become
a branch, but that's for some other time).

There are two basic designs for a repository layout with tags (based on
our present layout) [1]:
/
   www/
   pkg/
      GenABEL/
         trunk/
         tags/
            v1.6.6/
            v1.6.7/
      ProbABEL/
         trunk/
         tags/
            v0.1-9d/
            v0.1-9e/
In this scenario each sub-project has its own trunk (for normal
development) and tags directory.

The second design is:
/
   www/
   pkg/
      GenABEL/
      ProbABEL/
   tags/
      GenABEL/
         v1.6.6/
         v1.6.7/
      ProbABEL/
         v0.1-9d/
         v0.1-9e/
This design is most easy to implement in our case since it does not
change anything to the structure of the sub-projects. We simply create a
tags directory under / and put the tags there. It is, however, slightly
counterintuitive because most repositories follow the first design and a
checkout of /pkg/GenABEL in design 2 will not include the tags, only the
trunk. For our present contributors design 2 means no real change (no
changing of URLs for checkouts, no extra subdirectory (trunk) to change
into, etc.).

In short, I suggest going for the second design. It is easy to implement
and does not change anything for contributors. Of course we can always
decide to move to design 1 at a later stage when we also allow for
branches.

What are your ideas? One of these layouts, an entirely different one?

Regards,

Lennart.

[1] The Subversion book,
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.reposadmin.planning.html