[GenABEL-dev] The GenABEL project fundamentals: post #1

L.C. Karssen l.karssen at erasmusmc.nl
Sun May 15 20:46:42 CEST 2011

In light of Yurii's recent posts on the core philosophy of the GenABEL
project and the set of howto's we've been working on in the past few
months, I thought the following is relevant.

I recently came across a blog post [1] that discusses the use of
processes (basically a standardised set of rules/guidelines that
everyone in a project should adhere to) in open source development.
In short the post boils down to: in open source development having
processes in place is important, but make sure that they are reasonable
and not too complicated otherwise people will ignore them and/or
potential contributers will be pushed away (especially those that only
send a quick fix every now and then I'd say).

Bringing this up now doesn't mean that I think Yurii's guidelines are
too strict. Not at all! I just wanted to point out that having general
guidelines/best practices in place is good and necessary, but we should
always take care (especially since we're still relatively young and have
a small contributer base) not to make contributing too hard.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Lennart.

[1]
http://theironlion.net/blog/2011/05/10/what-do-your-processes-say-about-your-free-softwar/