[Expm-developers] [expm] issue with locale.h

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 22 10:23:11 CET 2019

    > Dear the developers of package "expm":
    > First, I would like to appreciate your efforts for the useful package.

    > I tried to install the package today as a dependency of other package, but
    > it failed to install CRAN version on R 3.4.4 on Ubuntu 16.04, gcc 5.4.0.
    > The issue was that locale.h included with angle-brackets (#include
    > <locale.h>) was actually including locale.h from the source directory, not
    > from the system library.

    > Although it is widely believed that the file included with angle-brackets
    > looks up the system library first, it appears that there is internal mixup
    > when '-I' option is used with recent version of gcc (the compilation line
    > has "-I/usr/share/R/include"). Here is a couple of related links:

    > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9893800/gcc-include-order-broken?newreg=c789470d905f464982b536a25e8725cf
    > http://ewontfix.com/12/

    > After changing the name of file "locale.h" in the library and modifying
    > lines that include that file (#include "locale.h") accordingly, I could
    > install the package properly.

    > Would you consider changing the name of the file "locale.h" for the next
    > version of the package "expm" for avoiding such mixup?

    > Thank you,
    > -Seyoon

Hmm,  really this is a bug in that olde version of gcc (or cpp,
the C preprocessor).

In spite of that I *have* done what you asked for, and the new
version of expm,  0.999-4  is already on CRAN :

   https://cran.r-project.org/package=expm

Best regards,
Martin Maechler

Martin <Maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>   http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler
Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich   HG G 16         Rämistrasse 101
CH-8092 Zurich, SWITZERLAND
phone: +41-44-632-3408      fax: ...-1228     <><