[Expm-developers] Euclidean (2-) norm and Matrix exponential

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sun Aug 21 21:33:23 CEST 2011

Dear Ravi,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 16:56, Ravi Varadhan <rvaradhan at jhmi.edu> wrote:
> Dear Martin,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to "expm" package.  I noted that it has a rich array of algorithms for exponentiating a matrix. However, it does not seem to have a way to efficiently compute exp(A) %*% x0, where x0 is a vector.

Yes, you are perfectly right and we (the expm-package authors) have
been aware that "we need this"  but none of us has come around to add
it to expm yet.

>  This is the solution of a linear system of ODE:  dx/dt = B, x(0) = x0 (note:  A = B * t).  Computing exp(B*t) and then doing the matrix-vector product is inefficient especially for large matrices.

yes, and in particular if it should happen --- as typically --- for a
whole set of t values.

>I have gotten interested in this in response to a query that John Nash had recently posted in r-devel.  I have translated the matlab function by Sidjek to do this. Let me know if you want this feature in expm().

Yes, that's really something we should add to the expm package..
but may be not to the expm() function per se.
I think a main use case should be to pass a whole vector t values (and
a fixed x0 vector), right?
I'd definitely look at what you sent us - at the beginning of this
thread, to see how it fits into this framework.
Thank you very much, Ravi, for "insisting" ;-b
Martin