[Expm-developers] R package 'expm' - release to CRAN?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 7 14:54:01 CEST 2010

    VG> Hi Martin,
    VG> Thank you for this initiative.

    VG> I wholeheartedly support releasing expm to CRAN. Any chance it becomes a Recommended package? If Matrix depends on it, that would make sense.

Dear all, I'm sorry, but I've been overwhelmed with all kinds of
activities these days.

Before the useR conference, I'd only like to do 2 things:

- Change the official package maintainer from
  	 expm-developers at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at
  to myself.
  I've really done almost all of the recent changes (though with
  very important code contribution from Michael Stadelmann), and have
  been clearly the lead developer..

- release it to CRAN "as is"

The following has to come later for sure :

    VG> Also, can we get a publication out of this, say in JSS? I'd be willing to contribute my fait share in this area.

Indeed, I'd be very glad if some of my (and your) nice
experiments and examples could make it into a vignette (Sweave:
R & LaTeX together) which we'd submit to JSS.
I don't think that all current expm-developers should be
co-authors though, but it would be great if you Vincent would
take the lead on this.
At the moment, it would seem sensible to think of an author
"trium virate"
  Vincent, Daniel (supervisor of Michael) and me,
of course acknowledging the work of the other expm-developers.

Martin