[Expm-developers] Expm-developers - E-mail address for R-forge "expm" developers

Christophe Dutang dutangc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 19:30:17 CET 2009

Dear all,

Sorry for sending you an email today without the mailing list Martin
created. It is just I was not at that time in that list.

That's indeed a great news that a student is dedicated to matrix
functions. I hope he will be soon be in the mailing list. Anyway he
will better job during his time than most of us could do during our
'leisure time'. An example is the basic work I did for logm (basic
eigen method).... at least Michael will not have to code this! The
2008 book should have the latest development in matrix computation,
that's great!

I completely agree with you for the Maintainer field: a mailing list
will be more appropriate.

However I still have some questions:
- the future of expm's functions: I suppose expm will remain a package
and never be included in base R?
- maybe expm should be renamed matrixfunc or incorporated into your
package Matrix Martin?

I'm not sure expm is mentionned so I'm afraid few R users know our
package... we should put it in a cran task view?

Christophe

PS : Vincent, I think, actuar package do not use expm ?

Le 20 févr. 09 à 17:07, Martin Maechler a écrit :

> De : Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Date : 19 février 2009 18:36:28 HNEC
> À : expm-developers at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at
> Cc : maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Objet : [Expm-developers] Expm-developers - E-mail address for R-
> forge "expm" developers
> Répondre à : Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>

> Dear Doug Bates, David Firth, Vincent Goulet and Christophe Dutang,
>
> This is just to explain the automated mailman e-mails you just
> got:
> I've asked the R-forge "manager", Stefan Theussl, about if there
> are e-mail addresses available for R-forege project, and he told
> me that and how I could "Create" such an address.
>
> That's how   expm-developers at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at
> came into life.
>
> Note that I wanted it as potential *MAINTAINER* address to put
> into DESCRIPTION's  'maintainer: ...' field.
> Since I wanted to get a windows-binary-version of the package
> after the latest additions I did today,
> I needed to temporarily change the maintainer from Vincent to
> me, such that I would get the Win-builder E-mail .. which always
> goes only to the maintainer address.
>
> Then I thought how useful it was to have one address for the
> five of us .... ->  see above.
>
> I'm going to write more about the exciting new code that I have
> added, tomorrow.
>
> We (a numerical analysis assistant professor and me) have a Math
> Master's student whose  Master thesis is on computing
> Matrix functions, notably the exponential, with R.
>
> The new algorithm, currently via function expm2() instead of
> expm(., method = "...") since  I wanted to keep Michael's R code
> {partly polished & prettified by me} entirely separate from the
> rest of the package for the time being,
> but notably wanted to use the package tests examples that I had
> already put there, also for the new functionality.
>
> Michael is currently working on the Matrix Logarithm.
> All this is based on very recent work (and a 2008 book), by
> Nick Higham who seems to be the current top-notch expert in the
> field.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin

Christophe Dutang