[datatable-help] allocation error

Zachary O'Keeffe zach.okeeffe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 04:32:52 CEST 2016

Hello,

While creating many transformed versions of variables in and outside of
loops, I've been seeing this error lately:

Error in set(MapYrCtyAllGradeMiAreaPopSt, NULL,
"StYearHwyMiGradeAllLogPerStPop",  :
  Internal logical error. DT passed to assign has not been allocated enough
column slots. l=100, tl=100, adding 1

I found out to resolve it from this Stack Overflow post:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29615181/r-warning-when-creating-a-long-list-of-dummies

Which directed me to the alloc.col help page. I mainly wanted to write to
suggest making the error a bit more informative/helpful, e.g. directing the
user to look at alloc.col/trulength help page.

Also, I was wondering if you could explain why I ran into the error using
set(), but not :=?

Thanks,

Zach