[datatable-help] Cannot convert from data.frame to data.table inside RStudio

jpbowman01 john at therandomco.com
Thu Jul 24 19:47:54 CEST 2014

I'm running R 3.0.2 on CentOS, using data.table 1.9.2.

When I execute the following code inside command-line R immediately after
startup (no other packages loaded):

> library(data.table)
data.table 1.9.2  For help type: help("data.table")
> foo <- data.frame(a=1:3, b=4:6)
> foo
  a b
1 1 4
2 2 5
3 3 6
> bar <- data.table(foo)

all is well  When I execute the same code inside RStudio running on the same
machine, also immediately after startup, I get:

> bar <- data.table(foo)
Error in chmatch("data.frame", tt) :
  Internal error: savetl_init checks failed (0 100 0x35c79d0 0x41657b0).
Please report to datatable-help.

A lot of existing code suddenly broke from the point of view of being able
to execute it inside RStudio as a result of this, although it still runs as
production scripts.  Any help would be appreciated...