[datatable-help] fread() and UTF-8 support

Harish harishv_99 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 14 21:57:55 CEST 2013

Does fread() support UTF-8?  I got a text file that is mostly Latin-1 characters but encoded as UTF-8.  When I load the data, the first column name has a few extra characters in the beginning ("id"), but I do not get this when I convert the same file to ANSI format using Windows Notepad.

I am guessing that UTF-8 encoding puts a few extra characters in the beginning of the text file to indicate that it is an UTF-8 encoding, and fread() is reading that literally as the first column name.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
Harish