[datatable-help] Problem with FAQ 2.8

Frank Erickson FErickson at psu.edu
Fri Jun 7 14:27:48 CEST 2013

> Here is another oddity. It seems that in the first case we cannot
> access id1 but if we do a join and then access the columns in a
> separate [] then we can.

Similarly, columns with duplicated names are referenced differently in the
merge and after
it<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16843728/accessing-y-columns-with-duplicated-names-in-j-of-xy-j-merges>
(the
column from Y in X[Y] is called i.col in the merge and col.1 after).

Also, in your example, although id1 is not available, that key column has
two aliases that work: id2 and i.id2. So, I guess it wouldn't be necessary
to "change X[Y] so that in the case of keys with different names both
columns appear"; instead the key column could just be given the additional
name id1...?