[datatable-help] integer64 and fread

statquant3 statquant at outlook.com
Mon Jun 3 12:36:32 CEST 2013

Hello,
today I had to load a file which contained integers and on some lines
nothing.
data.table:::fread seems to cast the nothings into integer64.

So I had to use colClasses (and then specifiy the whole 20 columns just for
this column type that I wanted to be loaded as a character to be then casted
as a regular integer)

>From my experience with fread (which is the only function I am using now),
because it is not yet available to be used in analysis (not as a key...)

So may I humbly suggest the parameter integer64 in fread be changed to
"character" as default, until the parameter is fully implemented ?