[datatable-help] Is data.table efficient for sparse data?

Huashan Chen chenhuashan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 11:30:49 CEST 2013

 have a huge (over 10 million rows, 5000 columns) sparse matrix stored as
simple_triplet_matrix. I also want to utilize the fast index feature (among
others) of data.table. So I am wondering if data.table is memory efficient
for sparse data? And, is there anyway to convert simple_triplet_matrix into
data.table without the intermediate as.matrix() operation which is way too
slow.

Thanks.