[datatable-help] data.table seems to be buiding on Rforge for a few days

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Thu Feb 21 18:53:02 CET 2013

On 21.02.2013 17:21, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>> Latest Windows .zip (commit 813) now on data.table homepage.
>> Usually takes
>> up to an hour for the www to update.  Then a Ctrl+F5 to flush cache.
>>
>> Or, just grab the .zip directly from www directory :
>> https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/www/?root=datatable
>
> *Or* just update from SVN and compile form source -- from what I
> gather, it's rather easy(er) these days for "you Windows folk"s than
> it used to be, no? Or is it still a sufficiently big enough PITA that
> it's not worth it?

I don't think I've ever built data.table on Windows, so don't know :)

All I do is upload the tar.gz from Linux up to winbuilder website and
the .zip comes back (amazingly reliably) via an email link within 10-20
mins.

It's winbuilder that makes it easy really. *Once you have the tar.gz*.
So it's just the 'svn up' and 'R CMD build' steps that are needed. But,
for a full build, it installs (compiles) in order to run vignettes,
which
is the bit that needs a compile environment I think. I think if you set
    R CMD build --no-vignettes
it just packages it up, and I know winbuilder will create a .zip with
notes about the missing vignettes. But not sure. So, there's already a
few 'don't knows'...

Regardless, if we break very latest SVN version on R-Forge it might be
nice
to have a latest 'stable' (unstable) devel .zip of data.table on the
homepage.
At various working states of devel we could decide to build
the .zip and upload it to www directory, as a line in the sand. Every
few weeks
or so perhaps.

And, I trust winbuilder (Uwe Ligges) more than I trust myself. It has
found
quite a few issues/notes/warnings over the last year or so that I
didn't
find otherwise.