[datatable-help] Discrepancy between as.data.frame & as.data.table when handling nested lists

Frank Erickson FErickson at psu.edu
Thu Aug 8 02:14:59 CEST 2013

Hi Rick,

I guess it's intentional: Matthew saw this SO question (since he edited one
of the answers):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9547518/creating-a-data-frame-where-a-column-is-a-list

Some musings: Of course, to reproduce as.data.frame-like behavior, you can
un-nest the list, so both functions treat it the same way.

Z <- unlist(Y,recursive=FALSE)

identical(as.data.table(Z),as.data.table(as.data.frame(Z))) # TRUE
# or, equivalently (?)
identical(do.call(data.table,Z),data.table(do.call(data.frame,Z))) # TRUE

On the other hand, going back the other direction (getting data.table-like
behavior when data.frame's is the default) is more awkward, as seen in that
SO question (where they mention protecting each sublist with the I()
function). Besides, I'm with @flodel, who asked the SO question, in
expecting data.table's behavior: one top-level item in the list mapping to
one column in the result...

--Frank