[datatable-help] changing data.table by-without-by syntax to require a "by"

Frank Erickson FErickson at psu.edu
Fri Apr 26 22:34:39 CEST 2013

I disagree with the criticism of data.table's complexity (in the OP).
There's nothing wrong with overloading the syntax (that is what CS people
call it, right?). As long as Matthew's in control of it, it's likely to
have some internal consistency (which, of course, he could explain).
However, I like the suggestion to add options (defaulting to something
globally adjustable) to disable some of the overloading. Along similar
lines (I think), I find unique.data.table very unintuitive. I can see how
it could be useful, but strongly prefer base::unique for my current
applications.

Anyway, I have nothing particular to say about the piece of syntax you all
are currently discussing. I just registered with this list to chime in
here, instead of further cluttering SO (where eddi answered one of my
questions yesterday). These emails sure are wide; must be like 1500px!
Interesting to try out this ancient mailing-list form of communication.
Please let me know if I should be using "Reply All" or actually quoting
that massive thread (as everyone else seems to be doing with each post).

Frank