[datatable-help] Need help with fread function

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Tue Apr 2 10:44:52 CEST 2013

Thanks. Looking at Windows docs there is a GetFileSizeEx and maybe
that'll make this 2.5GB file work on 32bit. Have filed here :

https://r-forge.r-project.org/tracker/?group_id=240&atid=975&func=detail&aid=2655

But the best we can hope for on 32bit is 4GB support, iiuc, using
memory mapping which fread relies on. Quite possible that the real limit
is around 3.2GB (whether RAM addressability limits apply to mapping
files as well or not on Windows I don't know).  I'll let you know when
it's in v1.8.9 and you can try again.

If this quick fix doesn't work, then I'm not planning on trying harder.
As the error message says: 64bit is the way forward.

Matthew