[datatable-help] Need help with fread function

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Tue Apr 2 09:48:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

There seems to be a printing problem in that error message (-0.0MB
should say 2.5GB), but other than that I can't think of much else to add
that isn't in the error message already. The error message tells us you
are using a 32bit computer. Are you Windows or Linux?  2.5GB is over
2^31 bits, so at the limit of addressability for 32bit.  The file
doesn't need to fit in RAM, but it does need to be addressable.  For
example if you had 1GB of RAM, you should be able to read a 1.5GB file
ok. It's not the amount of RAM you have per se, but whether you are
32bit or 64bit.

Matthew