[datatable-help] List-valued column

macrakis macrakis at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 26 21:04:35 CEST 2011

I'm appreciating the functionality and speed of data.table, but I can't
figure out how to manipulate list-valued columns:

Compare:

> df <- data.frame(a=I(list(1:2,5:7))); df
1    1, 2
2 5, 6, 7
> dt <- data.table(a=I(list(1:2,5:7))); dt
Error in data.table(a = I(list(1:2, 5:7))) :
  arguments cannot be silently repeated to match max nr: 2, 3

How do I go about putting variable-length objects into a column of a data
table?  The documentation says that the "..." in data.table(...) is just as
in data.frame.

The documentation also says that POSIXlt is not supported "because it uses
40 bytes to store a single datetime".  Apparently the limitation is not just
on POSIXlt, but on other non-atomic vector types as well?

Thanks,

        -s