[datatable-help] A new package int64 to support 64-bit integer in R

Branson Owen branson.owen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:02:17 CET 2011

I just saw a cool new package rolling out: package int64 that supports
64-bit integer in R
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/int64/index.html

I remember there was a wish for data.table to use 64-bit integer for
key. Matthew was guessing there might exist a package somewhere that
already supports 64-bit integer in R. I think this is exactly what we were
looking for!

This package looks pretty solid. The author has excellent reputation in
R society and this program is sponsored by Google!

A immediate drawback I see is that they use S4 class. I know it's painful
to deal with S4.

?..Somehow I feel that Google will also be interested in sponsoring
data.table package? I guess Google is interested in sponsoring int64
project because they were naturally facing the big-data problem. I think
data.table's high-performance features also fit their interests, just like
int64? :)))

Best regards,