[datatable-help] using paste function while grouping gives strange results

Joseph Voelkel jgvcqa at rit.edu
Fri May 6 21:26:14 CEST 2011

Steve H,

As a R user, I sometimes make fundamental mistakes (like forgetting to use collapse with the paste function when I want to collapse).

However, R is a powerful language. It assumes the user knows what he or she is doing unless something is almost certainly wrong (Steve L provided some examples. This seems like the 80-90% you mentioned, but it's probably more in the 95%-99% range.) In my opinion, it is unrealistic for you to make what are really programming mistakes on your part (for what you INTENDED-if you INTENDED something else it would not be a mistake) and then expect the software to be able to read your INTENT.

I am not a great programmer, but having worked with software that prints out too many warnings-or worse, that will not let you do some things because the programmers decided a user would be unlikely to want to do this-I prefer R's approach.

Regarding the recycling note recently posted-yes, that may be a nice option. (But will you need to need to have a third option: "don't print out recycling warnings for vectors of length 1"? That's usually done intentionally.

Regards,

Joe V.