[datatable-help] Subsetting that behaves right for both data frames and data.tables?

Timothée Carayol timothee.carayol at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:00:31 CEST 2011

Sorry my mistake -- subset does return a data.table.
(I was using as an example a data.table with 100 rows, and stupidly using
the fact that it printed the whole thing rather than the 10 first rows only
as my criterion for whether it worked or not.. Omitting that
print.data.table does print up to 100 rows. I feel a bit stupid.)

Why doesn't it work for you if that is the case?

DF <- data.frame(a=1:200, b=1:10)
DT <- as.data.table(DF)
subDT <- subset(DT, select=a)
class(DT)