[datatable-help] Have a patch for mere.data.table to take `suffixes` param like merge.data.frame

Thu Feb 24 22:33:36 CET 2011

Hi again,

I have a small patch I can commit (if you like) for having
merge.data.table act more like merge.data.frame by adding suffixes
when merging two data.tables more like you would expect when one
merges two data.frames.

The default would be suffixes=c(".x", ".y"), like merge.data.frame,
but this is (obviously) up to the user.

Is that acceptable? I figured that 'data.table way' discourages
`merge` in favor dt1[dt2, ...] type stuff, so I thought the caller who
uses `merge` would expect it to work more like a data.frame merge,
which is why I thought this would be useful..

Also -- I'm in a bit of holding pattern until the other issues are
resolved (primarily how to properly test -- even if just temporarily),
otherwise I'd be happy to commit it back into the repo.

Thanks,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou