[datatable-help] Basic join question

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Thu Aug 18 10:15:34 CEST 2011

On the previous post, the lack of example data makes it more time
consuming to help. Please provide a way to generate an example dt.

Answers to 2nd two questions inline below ...

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 18:27 -0700, Yang Zhang wrote:
> The docs say:
>
> "When i is a data.table, x must have a key. i is joined to x using the
> key and the rows in x that match are returned. An equi-join is
> performed between each column in i to each column in x's key. The
> match is a binary search in compiled C in O(log n) time. If i has less
> columns than x's key then many rows of x may match to each row of i.
> If i has more columns than x's key, the columns of i not involved in
> the join are included in the result. If i also has a key, it is i's
> key columns that are used to match to x's key columns and a binary
> merge of the two tables is carried out."
>
> Some additional quick questions:
>
> 1. *Which* columns of i are used in the join (assuming no keys are
> set)? Is it just left-to-right?

Yes, when i has no key, it's left-to-right.

> 2. When there are two columns with the same name in x and i (which
> aren't being used as join keys), is just the one from x kept?

Yes, good question. There is a feature request to provide a "x." and
"i." prefix to cope better with this situation; e.g.,
    DT[X,age:=i.date-x.date,roll=TRUE]