[Basta-users] Error with DataCheck

Aaron Reedy amr3mb at virginia.edu
Wed Feb 13 22:42:10 CET 2019

I just resubmitted now that I am registered on the mailing list.

I'm new to BaSTA and am a pretty novice R user. I think my question might
be general to R and not specific to BaSTA. Either way, I am hoping the
community can point me in the right direction.

My dataset is 7700 lizards captured over 42 months in a closed island
population. There were 4 sampling periods in each year and the sampling was
close to 90% of the population captured during each sampling period (7-12
days). The vast majority of animals had lifespans shorter than 12 months.

I first constructed my Capture History, Birth/Death Matrix, and Covariate
Matrix (sex data for each individual).

Then I merged the matrices with:
inputMat <- merge(birthDeath, Y, by.x = "ID", by.y = "ID")
inputMat <- merge(inputMat, covMat, by.x = "ID", by.y = "ID")

Things seem to work OK there. I view inputMat and everything looks as it
should.

Then when I run DataCheck with:
newData <- DataCheck(inputMat, studyStart = 4, studyEnd = 46, autofix =
rep(1, 7), silent = FALSE)

I get the following error:
Error in rowSums(Y) : 'x' must be numeric

Can someone help me work on this error?

Thanks for having a look at this.