[Basta-users] post-fledging survival - Julian day or capture days for input format?

maren maren.rebke at avitec-research.de
Tue Aug 4 11:14:40 CEST 2015

Hi Diederik,

If you are purely interested in survival after fledging as a function of
time after fledgling you first have to create a mark-recapture matrix
the way you suggested. The day of fledgling is day one and you make a
table with 0s (bird not seen) and 1s (bird seen) for days 2 to 61. For
day one you always put a 0 in that table (which is equivalent to the
time of birth and goes into the matrix for times of birth and death).
This table is the recapture matrix needed as part of the input for BaSTA
and has one column for the individual identification and then one column
for each day from 1 to 61.

If you have your data in a format with one column giving the individual
identification and the other column listing all the days you have seen
the bird, you can use the function CensusToCaptHist() to create the
recapture matrix.

In addition to the recapture matrix, you create a matrix for times of
birth and death. Since day of fledgling is always assigned as the start
of the time of interest, the entries in the column birth will always be
day 1. Since you don’t observe any deaths, the entries in the column
death will always be 0 (standing for not known). You have to merge this
matrix with the recapture matrix to create the input matrix for BaSTA in
a way that you first have a column for the individual identification,
then a column for birth, then death and then the recapture matrix.

When you run BaSTA studyStart will be 1 and studyEnd will be 61.

You can find more information on the input matrix and how to create it
in the vignette of the BaSTA-package
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/BaSTA/vignettes/BaSTAoverview.pdf).

I hope this response is helpful. If you have further questions, don’t
hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Maren