[adegenet-forum] xvalDapc and group prediction accuracy

Crameri Simon simon.crameri at env.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 6 16:43:24 CEST 2015

Hi Caitlin

I'm writing to you because you are the author of xvalDapc. I'm still somewhat confused regarding question 2) of my first post.

You don't need to read it again, lets just consider this:

- I have a genetic dataset of 100 individuals, and I know the true group membership of every individual.
- I'd like to build a cross-validated DAPC "model" (let's call it DAPC model) which can be used to predict group membership of further individuals.
- I run xvalDapc on say 50% of the 100 individuals (the reason I can't take 90% lies in the small size of some groups).
- I get n.pca = 25 as the best n.pca for building the DAPC model, and xvalDapc automatically produces an according DAPC, albeit with 100% of the individuals.

Now comes the tricky question: Can I really use the DAPC produced by xvalDapc for prediction purposes? I still think that it is somewhat problematic to take the full dataset (100 individuals) to build a cross-validated DAPC model when the n.pca used in the PCA step of DAPC was determined from training sets of just 50 individuals. Perhaps this is the reason why you set training.set = 0.9 as a default value, to make this difference as small as possible?

An alternative approach would be to use xvalDapc as "just" a (wonderful!) tool to get an optimal n.pca for your data. But for prediction purposes, I'd suggest to build a DAPC model with a training set of in this case 50 individuals (from a stratified sampling) instead of all individuals. If you don't like to loose the information of the other 50 individuals, you even could produce say 30 permuted training sets in the same way as xvalDapc does it, build 30 DAPC models and predict your further individuals against all permuted 30 DAPC models separately, taking the group that was most oftenly assigned to an additional sample as the predicted group.

Do you have any comments on that? I know, it's all very complicated, but wouldn't that be statistically more appropriate?

Thank you in advance,
Simon

Message: 1