[adegenet-forum] Question about how to interpret Cross validation in my analysis. Thanks!

Caitlin Collins caitiecollins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 19:03:11 CEST 2014

Hello again,

*1) *

The output element “mean and CI for random chance” provides the values that
are used to draw the horizontal solid (mean) and dashed (CI) lines on the
plot generated for cross-validation.

In your case, the mean and CI for random chance was 49% (43%, 60%). The
interpretation of this would be that if the highest success in outcome
prediction that you were able to achieve with any model was between 43% and
60%, then you could be 95% confident that the ability of even the best
model to assign individuals to the correct group does not differ
significantly from the success rate you could achieve by assigning
individuals to a group at random by, say, flipping a coin as a method of
determining what group they belonged to. Ergo, you would not have succeeded
in creating a useful model.

However, your results indicate that with 25 PCs retained, your model had a
success rate of 69.5%, so you *have* created a “useful” model. Even though
it is not a particularly successful model, it still has a mean success rate
that is 20% higher than the mean success for the coin toss approach, and
10% higher than the upper limit of the CI for random chance. So you can be
95% confident that the somewhat modest ability of your best model to
discriminate between groups is not just happening by chance—the model is
truly doing something useful.

------

*2)   2)*

       While your interpretation is generally true, in that group
membership is not well-predicted by any model, I think you have mis-read
the results. The way they are laid out, at least in the text you copied
into the e-mail, has skewed the values given for the means to the right of
the number of PCs that they should be corresponding to… With 25 PCs, your
optimal model is actually achieving a mean success of nearly 70%. Still not
too good, but better than 63%. The MSE for 25 PCs is 32.4%, which is indeed
quite high.

However, the interpretation of this is not that you can only be “sure” of
correctly predicting around 20% to the right pre-defined group. Rather, you
can be “sure” of correctly predicting almost 70%! I think your confusion
here may come from your interpretation of what the random chance values
mean. Finding that the mean success for your best model is 20% above the
mean success for random chance does not mean you can only be sure of 20%
correct predictions. Rather, you could say that while you can in fact
expect a 70% success rate (your highest mean success), your model is only
providing an improvement of ~ 20% over the success rate you could have
achieved by tossing a coin.

This changes the severity of your final conclusion. First, I should mention
that it’s not fair to say that “[your] set of microsatellites can’t explain
well [your] pre-defined groups”. Instead, it might be more accurate to say,
“*With* the set of microsatellites available, you are unable to build a
*model* with DAPC that explains well the variation between your pre-defined
groups.” Finally, in light of the points above, while it is still true that
the model does not explain the variation between groups particularly well,
it does explain about 70% of that variation, so I wouldn’t consider it to
be “unsuccessful”.

-----

Sorry for the long answer, but I hope it helps a bit at least!

Please let me know if it doesn’t though, or if you have any more questions.

All the best,
Caitlin.