[adegenet-forum] Fwd: Question about how to interpret Cross validation in my analysis. Thanks!

Caitlin Collins caitiecollins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:28:13 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Caitlin Collins <caitiecollins at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: Question about how to interpret Cross validation in my
analysis. Thanks!
To: Angela Merino <Angela.Merino at cawthron.org.nz>
Cc: "Collins, Caitlin" <caitlin.collins12 at imperial.ac.uk>, "Jombart,
Thibaut" <t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk>

Hi Angela,

Well, I have two pieces of good news for you, and one piece of mediocre
news.

First, there’s nothing to worry about with respect to the “NULL” that you
are seeing. It just gets printed when xval.plot=TRUE as an artefact of one
of the lines of the printing function. It has no meaning, and certainly
does not imply that your model is not valid. (Given the stress that I now
realise this glaring “NULL” may cause, I’ve changed the way the plots print
now, so in the next release of adegenet this won’t happen.)

Second, you are absolutely correct in your interpretation of the results of
xvalDapc (which are stored in whatever object you assigned the results to,
in your case, “xval”).

This brings me to the mediocre news: given that your interpretation is
correct, it seems that the best model you can achieve with DAPC, where
n.pca=25, is only able to predict the group membership of validation set
individuals in 63% of the cases, with a 32% root mean squared error.
Arguably, this is not great. Your final comment on the matter, though, is
quite insightful. The fact that you can achieve the same modest level of
success with 20-80 PCs indicates that the optimisation procedure has not
been particularly successful. Ideally, one would like to see an arch, with
a maximum success point somewhere in the middle. In your case, there is a
bit of an arch, but it isn’t particularly striking.

The only thing I might add to your interpretation of this result is that
it’s not so much that the model is poor because a similar level of success
can be achieved with variable numbers of PCs. If mean success was virtually
constant, but varying around 90%, the interpretation would not be that the
model is poor, but rather that most levels of PC retention can compose a
model that effectively discriminates between groups.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions. If you have any more,
please feel free to ask.

Best,
Caitlin.