[adegenet-forum] Fwd: Significance of allelic contribution to discriminant functions

Caitlin Collins caitiecollins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:38:42 CEST 2014

Hello again Andrea,

Glad you found what you were looking for!

Incidentally, and in case anyone else on the forum is looking to visualise
the variable contributions to discriminant axes > 1, here is some code to
do so for a toy example. (The last chunk will be the relevant bit for
creating loading plots):

# make a simulated dataset with 5 "groups"
simpop <- glSim(200, 1000, 40, k=5, sort.pop=TRUE)
snps <- as.matrix(simpop)
phen <- simpop at other$ancestral.pops

# for fun/ as a check, quickly visualise the clusters
dapc1 <- dapc(snps, phen, n.pca=50, n.da=4)
scatter(dapc1)

# create an object called foo that contains the results of running snpzip
on your dataset
foo <- snpzip(snps, phen, xval.plot=TRUE, loading.plot=TRUE,
method="centroid")

# isolate the DAPC component of the snpzip results, calling it "dapc1"
dapc1 <- foo$DAPC
# specify that you want to run the following lines for all DA (ie. from
DA=1 to DA=(k-1), where K is the number of groups in your dataset)
DA <- c(1:dapc1$n.da)
par(ask=TRUE)
# generate separate loading plots for each DA
for(i in DA){
  title <- paste("Loading Plot for DA", i, sep=" ")
  maximus <- foo$FS[[i]][[2]]
  cutoff <-
abs(dapc1$var.contr[maximus,i][(which.min(dapc1$var.contr[maximus,i]))])-0.000001
}

Hope that helps!
And thanks for your input: I'll try and implement the above code within
snpzip to generate loadinplots for all DA automatically in the next release
of adegenet.

Cheers,
Caitlin.